[OSM-talk] "Hack the Map" An Idea for Online Mapping Events.

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Wed Jun 15 12:12:04 BST 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 4:53 AM, Parveen Arora <mail at parveenarora.in> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
> I am organising event to do online mapping, to increase the enrichment
> of OSM maps, also we have set up a lab to train the students and to
> make them able to work on OSM on that day.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Hack_the_Map
[ ... ]
> Please give your valuable suggestions to make it better, also add the
> points that you wants to take care about during this kind of online
> event event.

I'm sure there have been similar events before.  I apologize for being
critical of your event.  It seems to me that training new mappers
about OSM only with "armchair" mapping techniques misses an important
opportunity.  To be sure, aerial imagery can be a helpful resource
when mapping.  But aerial imagery is only one resource, and it is one
that is often a years-old reference.  Even aerial imagery that is
current offers only a limited perspective.

Please include real field work as part of your event.  It is that real
field work that provides the very best, most current, data to a
mapper.

Best regards,
Richard