[OSM-talk] Announce: Beginning of Phase 4 of license change process

NopMap ekkehart at gmx.de
Wed Jun 15 14:26:26 BST 2011

Mike Collinson wrote:

> I would emphasise there is currently no need to remove data from the
> live database since the license is still CC-BY-SA. I believe there is no
> urgency to do so until acceptances have been maximised, local issues
> that have a near term solution have been addressed and there is a sense
> of community consensus that it is time.

There may be no need - but I have the impression that many people are tired
of waiting and eager to bring the licence change to a conclusion. I believe
if the schedule remains that vague and there is no more definite suggestion
for proceeding, then people will start purging non-relicenced data from the
db on their own very soon.

I think it might be a good idea to select a reasonable timeframe (say one
month into phase 4) and issue a suggestion along the lines: "We'd like to
ask all current no-voters to cast their final vote until <dayX>. Likewise,
we'd like to ask everybody to refrain from re-mapping data until after
<dayX>."

bye
               Nop