[OSM-talk] Announce: Beginning of Phase 4 of license change process

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Jun 16 09:20:57 BST 2011

On 16/06/11 08:17, Eric Marsden wrote:

>    It's quite simple: I object to the OSMF using what I consider to be
>    very misleading statistics in communication on the ODBL process.
>    Michael Collinson's message can be interpreted as saying that 0.2% of
>    users haven't accepted the new contributor terms. I point out that a
>    more reasonable way of presenting the data is that between 40 and 55%
>    (depending on the region) of users haven't accepted the new
>    contributor terms.

So you decided to counter with your own misleading statistics by talking
about 200K people not having agreed?

Whilst technically more or less accurate (the real number is 216170
right now) it is misleading because only 40% of those users have ever
made any edits to the data.

To inject some actual hard data into the conversation, here are some
actual numbers, straight from the database:

Users with edits who have agreed: 96917
Users without edits who have agreed: 104663
Users with edits who have not agreed: 86764
Users without edits who have not agreed: 129406

Changesets by users who have agreed: 7229801 (85.5%)
Changesets by users who have not agreed:  (14.5%)
Edits by users who have agreed: 1814899992 (89.2%)
Edits by users who have not agreed: 218756288 (10.8%)

Hope that helps,

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)