[OSM-talk] Question about contributor terms and derived contributions

Andreas Perstinger andreas.perstinger at gmx.net
Thu Jun 16 14:21:01 BST 2011

On 2011-06-16 13:55, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> Andreas Perstinger wrote:
>>  On 2011-06-15 04:01, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>>>  As far as I know, I have probably contributed data in the following
>>>  circumstances:
>>>  *Mapper A who has not accepted the change to ODbL drew two intersecting
>>>  roads.
>>>  *I note in person that there is a recently-added island-separated
>>>  right-turn lane, and I add it (way B) based on the ways added by A and a
>>>  rough estimate of its size.
>>>  Now I am the only contributor in the history of way B and all of its
>>>  nodes. Yet their locations are based on cc-by-sa data, and cannot be
>>>  distributed under ODbL.
>>
>>  Why should way B be based on way A? You have been there, noticed the new
>>  way and added it.
>>
> Added it *based on existing data*. For simplicity, take the beginning of the
> way. This is a new node created by me, but lies along an existing way, and
> is thus related linearly to two existing nodes. We call this a derivative
> work.

How did you noticed that there is a right-way turn lane? Probably not by
looking on the OSM map because then it would have been already there. So
you have another source (local knowledge, bing, ...) from which you got
the location of this way -> you derived the information from that source.

You could argue that without looking on the OSM map you wouldn't have
noticed the missing way and therefore this information ("the right-turn
lane is missing") is derived from a ccbysa source. But then the whole
licence change can't work because as I said before, every single edit
after the first node is based on this node (a ccbysa one).

I doubt that.

Bye, Andreas