[OSM-talk] Can I say "yes" to the ODbL if I can't account for 100% of my data?

Graham Stewart (GrahamS) graham at dalmuti.net
Thu Jun 16 17:22:27 BST 2011

Toby Murray-2 wrote:

> There is no such thing as an "enforced tag" in OSM. If you choose not
> to use a tag then that is your choice.

"Enforced" may have been a poor choice of word.

What I meant was that, as I understand it, there is no particular licensing
requirement that every node/way derived from a CC-by-SA source must have a
source= tag on it (as Steve Bennett seemed to be suggesting).

My understanding is that the overall attribution on the Contributors page is
sufficient.

This certainly intuitively fits with other CC-by-SA projects. For example if
you use some CC-by-SA source code then you don't need to add an attribution
comment on every line of code - you just need one somewhere prominent.