[OSM-talk] Question about contributor terms and derived contributions

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 17:24:44 BST 2011

Andreas Perstinger wrote:

> On 2011-06-16 15:48, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>> Andreas Perstinger wrote:
>>>
>>>  How did you noticed that there is a right-way turn lane? Probably not
>>> by
>>>  looking on the OSM map because then it would have been already there.
>>> So
>>>  you have another source (local knowledge, bing, ...) from which you got
>>>  the location of this way ->  you derived the information from that
>>> source.
>>>
>> My point is that you can't derive exact location from local knowledge. So
>> in
>> the absence of aerials or GPS traces, any estimation will be derived from
>> existing ways.
>
> So in your case there are just objects near your way which are ccbysa
> and which will probably be removed and there is no other legal source
> from which you can recreate the area? Then why do you care about this
> single way at all?

Who said anything about recreating? I'm supposed to agree to the statement
that as far as I know, I "have the right to authorize OSMF to use and
distribute those Contents under our current licence terms". But, as far as I
know, I don't, because some of those contents may be derived from cc-by-sa
data without that being clear in the database.