[OSM-talk] transparent road layer

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 04:28:34 BST 2011

Thanks for the summary.

On 16 June 2011 16:32, Rob Truxler <rtruxler en gmail.com> wrote:
> geoiq has a nice road layer that is very simple, no icons, just white roads with legible labels. Depending on your application, the simplicity of the acetate road layer can be appealing:
> http://a3.acetate.geoiq.com/tiles/acetate-roads/z/x/y.png
>  (45 KB)

This looks quite nice but has problems with text encoding in names
(non ascii characters display as boxes, 1 box per UTF8 byte) and data
is outdated.  I'd also make the highways more transparent and only
leave the labels fully opaque.

> With the help of Ant and Deborah from MapQuest I was able to get the URL of mapquest's transparent road layer that's part of their hybrid layer:
> http://vtiles01.mqcdn.com/tiles/1.0.0/vy/hyb/z/x/y.(gif|png)
>  (25 KB)
> Note: looking at just a couple of these tiles, I'd recommend using the gif format since the tiles are about half the file size and the PNG doesn't appear to have any alpha anti-aliasing

This in turn seems to use data from a different source than OSM.

Cheers