[OSM-talk] Pitiful proceedings - as usual

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Mon Jun 20 11:19:13 BST 2011

On 20/06/2011 09:09, NopMap wrote:
> Hi!
>
> First of all: I am in favour of the licence change itself, I have agreed a
> long time ago and I was actually looking forward to phase 4 bringing forward
> some decisions.
>
> Nevertheless, the enabling of phase 4 (which likely may have happened
> yesterday or so) strikes me as another pitiful example of how not to do such
> things.
>
> Considering that lack of information has been the chief reason for
> disagreement with the proceedings for some two years now, one might have
> naively assumed that someone in the OSMF might have listend or learned and
> that important steps might have been accompanied by some sort of official
> announcement.
>
> Instead, is guesswork and rumours all over again. The most definite insider
> information to have was "yes, on IRC was someone with a test account who
> claims he can't edit anymore".
>
> I don't know how you feel, but for me it is very hard to remain supportive
> of the matter in the face of such consequent incompetence handling it.
>
> bye
>                      Nop

Hi Nop,

As others have pointed out, an announcement with date was released on
blog, talk, legal-talk ... with full details and link to the
implementation plan [1]. Please also remember that all technical work is
kindly done by volunteers who have other issues and real lives too, so I
think "or as soon after as is technically practical" is not unreasonable?

Mike

[1]
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Database_License/Implementation_Plan