[OSM-talk] What is ad hominem and bad faith

TimSC mappinglists at sheerman-chase.org.uk
Tue Jun 21 09:50:02 BST 2011

On 21/06/11 06:00, SteveC wrote:
> An ad hominem attack would be something where you complained about what the LWG spent it's time on and I replied with a comment about your mother. Instead, I replied pointing out that you are in fact the one using most of their time recently. That would be called a rebuttal or perhaps a riposte, but it's not an ad hominem attack.

Steve,

Thanks for responding. I moved this to a different thread as it is
getting on to a new topic. I tried to sort the conversation in to
chronological order so we can see the relevant parts.

Your definition of ad hominem is slightly wrong. An ad hominem is always
against the author of the argument being criticised. An attack on a
third party (e.g. my mother) would be merely an insult and can never be
ad hominem.

A better definition is an attempt to undermine an argument with
perceived negative attributes or character of the author (paraphrased
from [1][2]). You did so. The highlighted a negative attribute because I
supposedly "sucked up the LWGs time", and claimed I can't make my point
because of that alleged fact: "I'd take a long look [...] before you
make these kinds of statements". It's the same as criticising a
poltician's stance on family values because they had an alleged affair.
Tabloids say "how dare that hypocrite make statements on family values".
Both your point and this are classic ad hominem.

I think this is an important point. If we can try to rid the mailing
lists of these personal attacks, we might be more productive. Steve, do
you understand what I am trying to say?

Regards,

TimSC

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ad+hominem