[OSM-talk] Flash cookies

Damian Steer pldms at mac.com
Wed Jun 22 12:13:50 BST 2011

On 22 Jun 2011, at 10:54, Floris Looijesteijn wrote:

> Some extra information for the non-Dutch:
> 'Recently' is this monday. NL stands for The Netherlands.
>
> Every Dutch IT company is protesting the way this ridiculous law is
> introduced and it has not yet been fully approved yet.
>
> But since Openstreetmap is not a Dutch company I don't see why they
> should adhere to our laws.

It's presumably an implementation of an EU-wide directive. [1]  It's certainly an issue with the UK [2][3] and pretty much everyone seems to be unprepared, which puts OSM firmly in the mainstream ;-)

Damian

[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directive_on_Privacy_and_Electronic_Communications>
[2] <http://www.ico.gov.uk/~/media/documents/library/Privacy_and_electronic/Practical_application/advice_on_the_new_cookies_regulations.pdf>
[3] <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13345545>