[OSM-talk] Flash cookies

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Wed Jun 22 12:51:17 BST 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 12:08 +0100, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Markus Lindholm wrote:
> > But there's no need to store them on the client, as all users have to
> > log in the preferences can be stored server-side. Atleast I throw away
> > all cookies when I close the browser.
>
> That works for osm.org but not on a third-party Potlatch deployment, where
> it would require the user to authenticate with OSM on opening Potlatch
> rather than on first save - not so friendly.

It also means that your settings are saved per machine rather than per
user, so if Im editing on my laptop then change to my desktop, my
potlatch settings may be different even though Im editing with the same
user account.  Maybe with this new legislation, its worth looking at
some option in the user settings, whether to pass stored settings from
the server to potlatch or whether to use cookies.

Everytime I edit, Im asked to authenticate with OSM before opening
potlatch, is that not normal?

On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 12:15 +0100, Chris Hill wrote:

> Further discussion should probably go onto @legal-talk, IMHO.

Is that the new mailing list users are being directed to for all threads
longer than 5 messages now?  Maybe it should be directed to talk-eu
since it only affects the EU?  Maybe it should be directed to talk-dev
since it might be a situation for the developers to make some changes.
Or, maybe its of enough interest to enough people that it should stay in
general discussion.

Seriously, its starting to get seriously tiring when everyone tries to
divert every thread to legal-talk and Im pretty sure those users on that
list would be getting tired of seeing messages that dont belong on that
list.

David