[OSM-talk] License/CT issues: Let's not punish the world's disadvantaged, pls.

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jun 23 00:41:27 BST 2011

Hi,

David Murn wrote:
> Except that

[...]

My argument rested on the potential consequences for OSM: Someone pops
up on an OSM list and says "why don't you all go elsewhere"?

For this argument, it doesn't matter if the other thing has the same
roots, the same technology, or the same general idea; the other thing
might be superior in every regard and *still* it have a bad taste to it
if the creators of the other were to cast their net on OSM mailing lists.

> The day after the changeover occurs, the world will look at OSM and fosm
> and theyll see one is a small subset of the other

Can you give a definition of "small subset"?

> Joe user (especially Joe user who might use map
> maker) doesnt give a rats about licence terms, all they care about is
> seeing complete maps.

Oh, I think it is perfectly ok to take a snapshot of all our tiles the
day before the changeover and make them available somewhere. In fact I
was thinking that OSM would do so themselves, maybe even offer old
CC-BY-SA tiles and new updated tiles as a choice on openstreetmap.org.
Of course if fosm.org does that already then maybe it is unnecessary to
do it twice.

I am not so much concerned about data at all; I am concerned about
community members and I would hate to see an effort to smear OSM's
reputation in order to get people to contribute to another,
incompatible project - whether that is Google Map Maker, or a superior
open source endeavour.

Bye
Frederik