[OSM-talk] License/CT issues: Let's not punish the world's disadvantaged, pls.

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 17:25:40 BST 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 11:22 PM, ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert
Gremmen <g.gremmen at cetest.nl> wrote:
> @Eugene
>
> Please do not extend the discussion with incompatible examples.
> My example fits exactly the description of what is called
> forking:
> Try
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_%28software_development%29
> http://meatballwiki.org/wiki/RightToFork

OK, let's look for a software example.

The lead developers of the Amarok audio player software decided to
rewrite the software for version 2.0 going from version 1.4. This was
criticized by some other developers so they took the code base from
1.4 and created a "status quo" fork of Amarok (such as Pana and
Clementine). The "status quo" fork does not always have the right to
the servers or domain name or trademark/brand name simply because they
want to continue with the original code (or original license, or
original whatever). If the majority of supporters of a project agree
with the change then the project goes with the majority.

This is not a rotten thing, unlike what you declare.