[OSM-talk] License/CT issues: Let's not punish the world's disadvantaged, pls.

Robert Kaiser kairo at kairo.at
Thu Jun 23 22:39:03 BST 2011

John Smith schrieb:
> On 24 June 2011 04:43, Robert Kaiser<kairo at kairo.at>  wrote:
>> That said, I'm happy about FOSM, if I ever become a resident of the US and
>> that legal opinion on this matter still holds up, I might pull its data and
>> provide it under PD myself.
>
> Unlikely, maps were the first thing to be protected under copyright,
> and copyright law doesn't stipulate what form the maps have to be
> stored under, and maps are deemed a creative enterprise.

Well, it has been stated multiple times that it was a lawyer opinion
that CC-BY-SA didn't apply to our data, and factual databases aren't
protected by US law. But right now, I'm bound by the rules of where I
live in anyhow, and here we have explicit database protection laws -
which still doesn't make CC-BY-SA be applicable to factual databases,
but unfortunately also doesn't make them just usable under PD. And, of
course, I'd need to let this prove by yet another lawyer, as IANAL and
those in reign around here (if there are any) seem to disagree.

Robert Kaiser