[OSM-talk] License/CT issues: Let's not punish the world's disadvantaged, pls.

Jaak Laineste jaak.laineste at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 09:25:51 BST 2011

>> Well, it has been stated multiple times that it was a lawyer opinion that
>
> Francis Davey, who also claims to be a lawyer, gave an opposite opinion.
>
>> CC-BY-SA didn't apply to our data, and factual databases aren't protected by
>
> Which is a false premise, map data isn't factual data and copyright on
> maps doesn't care if they are stored in a database or in print form,
> making maps takes creative effort, take 10 different mappers and give
> them the same sources and you will end up with different end results.
>
>> CC-BY-SA be applicable to factual databases, but unfortunately also doesn't
>
> We're not dealing with a factual database, we're dealing with map data
> that just happens to be stored in DB form.

I am also sure that map database is not a set of facts, it is much
more a piece of art. However, it is not really relevant what me, you
or some layers think about it. If legislation (or case law) in an
important enough region (such as US) tells that map database is a
database then we should be prepared and play their game.

--
Jaak