[OSM-talk] Overhauling the Beginners’ Guide

Andrew andrewhainosm at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Jun 25 14:17:11 BST 2011

I’ve been having a look at the aerial imagery page in the Beginners’ Guide
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Beginners_Guide_1.1.2). This much-
translated page could do with a lot of updating and perhaps a bit of thought.

Most obviously the list of data sources is horribly out of date. It says Yahoo
is the main imagery source but it isn’t beginners’ level material any more and
soon won’t be available at all. Landsat isn’t something most people would see
directly. NPE is obsolescent. The Italian, Japanese, Albanian, Ukrainian and
both Chinese versions of the page mention NearMap, which we can’t make new
tracings of any more. Bing on the other hand isn’t mentioned in several
languages; possibly the fact that we’ve got a choice of sources is more
important than any one source though.

It may also be worth warning about misaligned and out-of-date pictures.

The reference to WMSPlugin is also out of date.

The concept of the Beginners’ Guide in general could probably be reviewed too.

--
Andrew