[OSM-talk] Addresses

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 02:30:45 GMT 2011

I'm not certain what your background is so forgive me if I pitch this too
simply.  Below is the XML code for a Florist in Ottawa.  Anything before
<node is red tape, anything after <?node is red tape.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Features gives a list of features that
can be tagged.

Note the line that says node id, this is basically what OSM uses to identify
a node.  The node is then qualified with things such as name, addr:postcode,
phone etc.  The node has a long and lat value which is where OSM knows where
to place the node.

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<osm version='0.6' generator='JOSM'>
  <bounds minlat='45.469465' minlon='-75.49071909999999' maxlat='45.469559'
maxlon='-75.4905474' origin='CGImap 0.0.2' />
  <node id='702985078' timestamp='2010-12-07T01:58:28Z' uid='186592'
user='Johnwhelan' visible='true' version='6' changeset='6570763'
lat='45.4695054' lon='-75.4906046'>
    <tag k='addr:housenumber' v='1675' />
    <tag k='addr:postcode' v='K1E 3P6' />
    <tag k='addr:street' v='Tenth Line Road' />
    <tag k='fax' v='(613) 834-1577' />
    <tag k='name' v='Select Blooms' />
    <tag k='name:fr' v='Select Blooms' />
    <tag k='phone' v='(613) 837 9966' />
    <tag k='shop' v='florist' />
    <tag k='website' v='www.selectblooms.ca' />
  </node>
</osm>

Without the lat and lon the information is useless.

Normally with a data source you know if its clean data or not.  Yours sounds
as if it might not be clean.  So step one would be to get the lat and lon
information attached to your data somehow.  Once you have the node in the
map then you can start to play.  One thing  you could do is add a note tag
and dump the unformatted address information in there, I'd also add another
tag saying fixme.  Then you are dependent on some one taking the time to
untangle the address information in something like JOSM.

Another approach would be to filter the data so that only clean data is
uploaded, often you can pick out different ty.es of data then handle them by
program in different ways.

If this is enamel bucket corporate stuff then its probably best if we talk
this stuff through about what you want to do and what resources you have
available.  Brian Stagg is one contact I had with Microsoft before I retired
and he can probably give you an idea of my background. My Skype address is
johnwhelan3316.  I can give you some guidance for free but I'm not in the
market for being a consultant.

Bear in mind that in general OSM prefers manual input for religious reasons,
CommonMap might be a more suitable depository.  I have a couple of VB
programs that can be used to read and write OSM files in such a way that the
modified data can be uploaded to OSM etc.

Cheerio John