[OSM-talk] all our addresses are belong to you

Fri Mar 4 04:16:08 GMT 2011

At 2011-03-03 11:23, Jo wrote:
>I used mapquest_critical_addresses for the source tag.

Why not add that to the Python conversion script so we at least have some
consistency there?

Is this data really worth importing?

I have to say that, from the comments so far, quality seems quite low, and
that was quite predictable.

In my work with GMM and then OSM, I find that people who pop in just to
update one or two POIs or streets often make mistakes. It takes some skill
and experience to correctly interpret satellite imagery, a detail-oriented
mind to compare the appearances of multiple buildings or measure correctly
to determine which is your intended target, an understanding of correct
addressing standards in the community in question, etc. IME, the average
citizen fails in one or more of these.

Google Earth is full of mis-placed and mis-named placemarks, and those were
from people who had to have an extra level of knowledge to figure out how
to use the BBS to get them posted. Now that input is coming from
maps.google.com, even with review, user-contributed data is very often wrong.

Why should this data be any different? Why is dragging a point to the
nearest building and more correct that dragging it to the next block, or
the next town, if you don't know the feature personally?