[OSM-talk] odbl

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 23:10:38 GMT 2011

So basically you are saying that it is not possible to explain it in
layman's terms.  Thank you for your input.

I have noted some posts saying that some data had leaked into Google or whom
ever maps and that odbl would prevent this in some way so it would seem that
if we are going in this legal style path that we have a need for a higher
standard of data input.

There is a wide range of sources used from a hand held GPS device through
copying down the name from a sign.  If its the only name on the sign there
is no copyright, but if there is a collection of names then there is
copyright.

My concern is purely that data I have entered may not all have been from
pure uncopyrighted sources and if someone is taking legal action based my
input I would like to feel it was only based on data that was absolutely
pure.

Since you are unable to supply sufficient information about odbl for me to
feel a level of comfort with it I think the next question becomes how can we
remove my questionable data or is that a topic for legal-talk as well?

Thanks

Cheerio John