[OSM-talk] Bike / Pedestrian directions on the MQ Open sites

ant antofosm at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 09:11:41 GMT 2011

On 06.03.2011 02:36, Steve Bennett wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 7:12 AM, ant<antofosm at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> very nice! I've checked some of my daily bicycle routes. Of four routes two
>> are perfect, and two have become too long--obviously in favour of the use of
>> cycleways. Don't forget that although cycleways are preferable, cycling on
>> roads is still possible and avoiding it usually isn't worth a 10% increase
>> of distance.
>
> Interesting, my threshold would be closer to 40 or 50%. You're saying
> you'd rather ride 20km on roads rather than 22km on bike path? I

In the city, yes. Btw, here almost all tertiaries and higher have
separate cycleway tracks.

> wonder how they can cope with such a range in preferences.

Give more options! How about a safety slider from "very safe" to
"break-neck"? Presets for racing bike, trekking bike, mountainbike?
Avoid pedestrian areas? Avoid side roads and paths (useful in winter)?

> Steve

cheers
ant