[OSM-talk] Bike / Pedestrian directions on the MQ Open sites

ant antofosm at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 09:23:22 GMT 2011

Hi,

On 05.03.2011 23:46, Cartinus wrote:
> On Saturday 05 March 2011 21:12:43 ant wrote:
>> One more thing... it seems that turn restrictions are regarded--although
>> they generally don't apply to cyclists (in most countries I guess).
>> Please fix this.
>
> They should be regarded unless there is a tag except=bicycle on the
> restriction relation.
>
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Restriction>

which is used... 666 times!
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.de/keys/except#values

What you're saying isn't wrong. But it's useless for bicycle routing
with the current use of tags and the current quality of the cycleway
network. Even in the best-mapped countries most of the roads still miss
information about bicycle access permissions, let alone separately
mapped cycleways. So the only situation I'd enforce a turn restriction
in is when the road is tagged bicycle=lane. Otherwise I'd ignore it.

cheers
ant