[OSM-talk] Bus Stop POI File

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Sun Mar 6 10:28:22 GMT 2011

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 19:42:27 Esben Stien wrote:
> For the sake of discussion, I have a simple case.
>
> Along a road, there are 100 bus stops. I'd like to make a POI file
> containing the positions of all these bus stops.
>
> So, I sit in my car and I need a simple command to run every time I stop
> outside a bus stop.
>
> Then I can bind this command to a button on my keyboard and I press this
> button every time I park outside a bus stop. When I'm finished, I have a
> POI file of the positions of all the bus stops. Later, I'm somehow able
> to load this POI file into something like foxtrotgps.
>
> Anyone have any pointers how I can do this and what tools I can use?.

I assume you already have a GPS hooked up to your laptop and you can record a
trace of your trip.  Get a digital camera (maybe you already have one, or
maybe you have one on your phone).

Take a picture of the time on your GPS.  Drive your car and use the GPS to
record the route.  Every time you pass a bus stop take a picture.  You don't
actually need to take a picture of the bus stop, just press the shutter
button at the location of the stop.  Please ensure you don't affect your own
or others' safety.

At home, download the pics from your camera and use JOSM's tools to load the
pictures you took along the GPS track you recorded.  (The first picture is to
synchronise the camera clock to the GPS clock).  Photo icons will appear at
the location each picture was taken.  You can add bus stop POIs.  If you take
an actual picture of the stop then you can add information such as if there
is a shelter or seating.

Apologies if you know how to do this, but I don't know what experience you
have.

For this method you need no new software or scripts or tools and you probably
have a GPS and a camera already.  Others may have better/simpler suggestions.

Best wishes,

Andrew