[OSM-talk] georeferencing OSM

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi
Mon Mar 7 13:58:59 GMT 2011

Łukasz Stelmach <stlman <at> poczta.fm> writes:

> Hello.
>
> This has been discussed[1] some time ago but the answer is somehow
> unclear to me. I understand that EPSG:900913 is (may be?) a crappy
> projection[2]. However, I still need a map of Poland at zoom 6-8 warped
> to EPSG2180. How to use geotifcp (how to prepare metadata) to embed
> appropriate information in an image exported from OpenStreetmap?
>
> [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.openstreetmap/19958
> [2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Exporting_calibrated_maps

I would capture first the image of your area by using native EPSG:900913
projection with gdal_translate and WMS driver as described at the bottom of the
document http://gdal.org/frmt_wms.html.  As a result you will have on a disk a
geotiff file which is simple to re-project further into EPSG:2180 with gdalwarp.

-Jukka Rahkonen-