[OSM-talk] Bike / Pedestrian directions on the MQ Open sites

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Fri Mar 11 23:06:21 GMT 2011

Jo wrote:
> About that tag, it makes sense if there actually is a bicycle path, but
> when it's a street where only bicycles can go in two directions,
> wouldn't it make more sense to use one_way:bicycle=no?

Yes, cycleway=opposite isn't quite consistent with what the cycleway key
is used for otherwise, and it's not really extensible to other cases
either. My suggestion is, therefore, to tag oneway:bicycle=no which is
consistent with this much more universally applicable scheme:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Extended_conditions_for_access_tags

cycleway=opposite is used a lot more frequently, though. For
compatibility's sake, you should therefore still set that tag in
addition to any alternative you decide to use.

Tobias Knerr