[OSM-talk] Named passages on hiking paths

Steve Doerr steve.doerr at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Mar 14 22:15:24 GMT 2011

On 14/03/2011 20:34, Phil Endecott wrote:

 > The correct translation for "pas" in that context is "step" - i.e.
that is what you should write if translating a proper name.  Example:
the "Hillary Step" on Everest.

 > In Britain there are various places known informally or semi-formally
as "the bad step", or something similar.

 > However, since "step" has numerous meanings (as does "pas" of
course), I doubt that it would be an appropriate word to use in an OSM tag.

The Hillary Step appears to be a vertical rock face which needs to be
ascended on the way to summit: it is thus analogous to a step or stair
(as in a flight of stairs). I think the kind of 'Pas' being mentioned in
the original posting is something that is traversed horizontally rather
than vertically. 'Pas' does indeed mean 'step' (i.e. a movement taken in
walking), and by extension a 'place through which one may pass in order
to get from one place to another', in which sense it can be applied to
sea-straits as well as to tricky portions of a path on land.

I think the OP's problem is a particular example of a more general
problem, of tagging a particular stretch of a way with a specific name
which doesn't negate the name of the way as a whole. You get that with
terraces, parades, etc. on roads, with reaches of a river, and no doubt
with other features as well.

--
Steve