[OSM-talk] Movement of Japan coastline

Andrew Guertin andrew.guertin at uvm.edu
Tue Mar 15 20:50:49 GMT 2011

I've read news reports (e.g. [1]) that the entire country of Japan has moved
about 2.4 meters (8 feet) because of the recent earthquake. Is this something
that we want to deal with on a large-scale basis? If so, should it be done soon,
before people start mapping from updated imagery and mix old and new positions?
Or is 2.4 meters not enough to worry about?

Unfortunately the articles I've found have been very lacking in details, such as
moved relative to what? In what direction?

[1]
http://articles.cnn.com/2011-03-12/world/japan.earthquake.tsunami.earth_1_tsunami-usgs-geophysicist-quake?_s=PM:WORLD