[OSM-talk] the coastline

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 21:45:31 GMT 2011

i've recently been doing some mapping around auckland, adding coastal
walkways. one in particular i walked on sunday has two routes: one at
the foot of the cliffs, one on the road at the top of the cliffs. the
lower route is under water when the tide is in, so walkers are advised
to follow the road route.

so, i added the route, and it is now under water:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-36.927322&lon=174.709115&zoom=18&layers=M

this seems wrong, drawing a route which is then under water, but the
alternative of moving the path is also wrong.

so, what do we do?

the question becomes (in my mind): why do we have a single way mapped
'coastline'? this implies the boundary between land and water is
static, but of course it moves - a number of times per day.

i like the possibility of a high water mark and a low water mark, used
together to entirely replace the natural=coastline tag.

perhaps some of you have some ideas around this also?

thanks,

--
robin

http://tangleball.org.nz/ - Auckland's Creative Space