[OSM-talk] Licensing Working Group

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 08:23:42 GMT 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 9:55 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23 March 2011 20:45, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't agree. Of course it is important how much of the data will
>> survive, but it is even more important to not loose active
>> contributors.
>
> Many that were previously active contributors have since stopped
> contributing until this mess is sorted out since they don't want to
> waste more time and effort on improving things if the efforts of that
> labour is thrown out at a later date.

...and many prospective contributors are being shunned away because a
new contributor doesn't have the same privileges as existing
contributors. i.e. existing contributors can use non-CT compatible
data, but new users cannot. Nor is there any way for a new contributor
to work their way up and obtain the same status of existing
contributors (in terms of permission to use non-CT data.