[OSM-talk] Mapping 'risky areas'

Sat Mar 26 05:59:14 GMT 2011

At 2011-02-21 09:10, Mike N wrote:
>I have seen this effect also - there are nearby areas that I will never
>survey because they are too risky.   Even in a vehicle, I would not want
>to risk a breakdown.
>
>   For the areas that are unfriendly to pedestrian and bicycle, I have
> used video from a vehicle.

I've mapped extensively with a still-shot camera from a vehicle. Keep in
mind that people are still watching you, particularly in bad neighborhoods,
and they generally infer bad things about people wielding cameras. I've
been stopped a number of times, even in good neighborhoods, by people
demanding to know why I'm taking pics of their houses. I've scaled way back
on capturing addresses for this reason.