[OSM-talk] Licensing Working Group

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Sat Mar 26 07:55:03 GMT 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 09:50 +0000, Grant Slater wrote:
> On 25 March 2011 05:49, David Murn <davey at incanberra.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > The problem is, any fork under the existing licence can continue without
> > problem.  Any fork under the new licence, cannot use any data unless the
> > user who contributed that data can/will give them 100% rights.  Those
> > against the ODbL can fork any time, and continue with the data under a
> > CC licence without worrying about relicencing someone elses data.  Those
> > in favour of the ODbl have to ensure the data they hold can be
> > relicenced.
>
> Not true. ODbL licensed data *can* be forked at any time without
> asking anyone for their blessing.

I mis-worded it in my original email change 'under the new licence' with
'wanting to use the new licence'.  Im not talking about ODbL data, Im
talking about the current CC-by-SA data that exists.  My point is that
those who want to bring in the new licence, wouldnt succeed if they were
forking and asking users to agree to their data being used in their
(ODbL) fork.

On an interesting side note, I note the main slippy map no longer has
any attribution text, which Im sure it used to in the past.  Is this a
sign of things to come?

David