[OSM-talk] Okay, this is just cool (Lockport, NY)

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 19:25:36 BST 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 6:07 PM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:

> You have missed the quote above, from terms of use for Google
> Streetview,

No. I did not miss any quote. ToU is about "Google Maps" and their third
party aerial imagery, not about street view pictures. Aerial imagery is a
different, more complex issue because images are transformed.  So all
derivated work about the geometry (like tracing) is correctly protectable.
But the content itself still not. So if Google maps shows that my house is
painted in pink color, anyone is allowed to use this information in his
commercial product. But tracing the house in OSM is not allowed because you
reuse the geometry and geoeferencing paid by someone else.

> Anyone round here ever seen the film 'Groundhog Day'?
If you mean it's a desperate fud which will never end, I understand.

Pieren