[OSM-talk] Skip geographical (redundant) address tags

Jaak Laineste jaak.laineste at gmail.com
Wed May 4 12:58:22 BST 2011

2011/5/4 Maarten Deen <mdeen at xs4all.nl>:
> On Wed, 4 May 2011 08:07:07 +0200, pdorange at mac.com (Pierre-Alain Dorange)
> wrote:
>>
>> Felix Hartmann <extremecarver at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Nope, it makes sense all the time. Cause boundaries really are not ment
>>> for deducting information onto what's inside. This really slows down any
>>> kind of processing (much much more than having data duplicated which
>>> only takes up a bit more disk space).
>>
>> Nominatim use them (boundariy relations) efficiently.
>
> The lookup may be efficient, it is frequently wrong and again dependent of
> correct and complete admin_levels.
> Currently it places every street where I live (in the Netherlands) in
> Belgium and does not specify a town with it.
> Looking for "Jacob van Marisring" returns "Jacob van Marisring, België
> 51.32,51.32 14558705 (Residential)". Searching for "Jacob van Marisring,
> Helden" even returns an error.

This correct - general side-effect of removal redundancy is that you
are also creating more single points of failures. In this terms having
millions copies of addr:country=DE is better than to have just one
(implicit) relation.

Regarding user interface: I would add "quick street selector" feature
to JOSM (and other editors) - when you open Preset>Annotations>Address
screen, then instead of text field it would have buttons to select
quickly up to 5 nearest streetnames. I would prefer that it would
create/update relation for this, of course it could also just fill tag
value. It would make entering address very easy, also for relations.

--
Jaak