[OSM-talk] Breaking up is hard to do (was New Logo in the Wiki)

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Thu May 5 05:59:28 BST 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 2:07 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> I've thought about this myself; would it be better to have separate,
> smaller instances of OSM, the way Wikipedia does.

I think it would make sense to have many layers of data, each with its
own source rules (on layer for each major import, a tiger layer for
example)
and also each layer would have its own license. Also you can split
these layers by country if needed.

You should be able to manage multiple layers in the database or have
many databases. Basically OSM should be more open to different
licenses and not try and push everything into one single licensed
layer.
The rendering my be slower in the end, but you can have multiple
transparent layers that you can turn on and off.

That is the option that I am looking into, I have gotten approval from
the archive.org to host tiles on the 5 petabyte server of theirs. My
idea is to manage multiple layers of data and update them there as
needed.

my two cents.

mike