[OSM-talk] Breaking up is hard to do (was New Logo in the Wiki)

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu May 5 10:58:36 BST 2011

2011/5/5 Peter Wendorff <wendorff at uni-paderborn.de>:
> Am 05.05.2011 06:59, schrieb Mike Dupont:
>> I think it would make sense to have many layers of data, each with its
>> own source rules (on layer for each major import, a tiger layer for
>> example)
>> and also each layer would have its own license. Also you can split
>> these layers by country if needed.
> I think, the idea is a good one, but there are a lot of problems, if you try
> to create that in practice.
> Layering is a good idea, I think, but the tagging system we have even makes
> layering nearly impossible for the data we have.

I don't think that layering is a good idea, as long as the different
layers aren't directly connected (i.e. reference the same nodes, ...),
and then you could just as well let it be (or create the dynamically
in the editor). Layering would detach the different classes of objects
we have in the db from eachother, so the end result for map editors
would be that they had to either display all layers or they will
create inconsistencies between the different layers.

It would also not solve the license problems, because if you used a
odbl-layer for guidance in the background while you drew something on
a PD layer you would create a derived work/data and with any viral
license this would change the license required for the PD layer as
well.

cheers,
Martin