[OSM-talk] FAQs from help.osm.org

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri May 6 12:48:42 BST 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 2:43 AM, Lambertus <osm at na1400.info> wrote:
> On 06-05-11 02:09, Grant Slater wrote:
>>
>> And routing on osm.org?
>>
>> / Grant
>>

> Would be awesome and is already possible for a while. See:
> http://nroets.dev.openstreetmap.org/demo/ (select the 'routing' layer).

This one seems much faster, though with fewer options.
http://routingdemo.geofabrik.de/

Perhaps the UI and options of the first can be improved with the speed
and routing engine of the second?

> But I believe the discussion about this in the past went nowhere because it
> was reasoned: routing would consume resources that would otherwise be
> (possibly) more useful to OSM.

Recent discussion has approved, in principle, funding for a routing
server to help map editors improve map data.  If I remember correctly,
the next step is to evaluate routing engines and the resources /
server it will require.  Then acquire the hardware.