[OSM-talk] Three-dimensional aerial imagery

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Sun May 15 00:11:36 BST 2011

> Basically, you put two images side by side, taken from slightly different
> angles. Look in the centre of the two images and "defocus" to a point beyond
> the page. Eventually you should see the image in full relief.

I've not heard of this approach before, but Stereoscopes are still
commonly used to produce a 3D image. Stereoscopic photography is still
very important, for example, in Archaeology / Heritage / lanuduse
characterisation. As far as I'm aware, there images are still being
produced (although they're a bit old fashioned now compared to
airborne LIDAR, etc), but I imagine they'd be pricey to get hold of.

In many places of the world (well, the UK at least) an enormous supply
of images will exist of buildings and landscapes that haven't changed
in a long old time; people have been using this technique since before
WWII, you just need to get access to some photos and decide on the
best Stereoscope -> Potlatch workflow. That could be the most
interesting bit of the entire project...

Cheers, Joseph