[OSM-talk] Tracks and there place in society

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat May 21 11:03:52 BST 2011

Am 21.05.2011 11:45, schrieb Ben Robbins:
> Simon: To put it simply.  There is 'can' and there is 'may'.  Places
> one 'can' go, and places one 'may'.
>
> I can walk across my neighbours lawn, but I may not.  I may choose to
> take a footway where I 'can' walk on a track, then take another
> footway where i 'may' walk where i 'can' on a path.  In OSM track and
> footway can't coexsist.

That was really already clear to me. I was just confused by your use of
"access track" since afaik "track" doesn't actually correspond to any
specific right of way classification in the UK, so really is more of a
physical or/and usage classification in any case  (see the German
version of the highway=track page in the wiki).

> The 'highways' key has a mix of these as well as tags that state both,
> neither or something completely different.  Likewise for rendering.

Woudn't it be best simply to ignore that historically the values for
some of the highway tags originated in the UK right of way system and
(for the UK)  rely on the designation tag to map the row status? In the
end that is what the overwhelming majority of OSM outside of the UK has
to do anyway.

> Hope that makes sense.

Well as much as anything in the UK makes any sense :-)

SImon