[OSM-talk] relations within relations - walking trails

Hermann Peifer peifer at gmx.eu
Tue May 24 20:21:58 BST 2011

On 24/05/2011 10:10, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 05/24/11 09:24, Hermann Peifer wrote:
>> The problem (at least mine) is not to relate the existing
>> relation objects conceptually, but to do this practically, in Potlatch.
>

> * Select the way
> * use "Advanced" mode to see relation X of wich way is a member
> * double click relation X to open relation editor
> * use "Advanced" mode to see relations of which X is member (currently
> empty)
> * click "Add to" to add X to another relation
> * since Y is unlikely to be already loaded, and thus will not appear in
> the list, click "Load Relation" and enter Y's relation ID
> * Y is loaded, and X is made a child of Y.

Thanks for the hints. I managed to redefine our regional bike route 51
as a relation of 2 relations (local bike routes) and 5 Ways which are
needed for filling the gaps in between the local routes:

It looks to me that some of the web tools for checking relations are
only able to present the relation's way members. They do not resolve the
"sub-relations" into their way members, e.g.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?relation=1588406 and
http://ra.osmsurround.org/analyze.jsp?relationId=1588406

Am I perhaps doing something wrong? In any case, the same relation looks
OK here:

http://osmrm.openstreetmap.de/relation.jsp?id=1588406#lon=12.52484215;lat=55.69023765;zoom=13;layer=Mpnk

Hermann