[OSM-talk] anonymous edits

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu May 26 21:09:33 BST 2011

Hi,

Martijn van Exel wrote:
> That is exactly why I started this thread - to see how (un)acceptable
> it is to do (semi) anonymous edits.

An important reason against anonymous edits is accountability. We want
to be able to contact someone and ask them: Why did you add that? What
did you mean by it? Etc.

In order not to burden the mapper, your twitter bot would somehow have
to establish bidirectional communiactions between mappers and
twitter-ers. If you think you cannot expect the twitter-er to set up an
OSM account, then in the same vein you cannot expect the mapper to set
up a twitter account. You must make sure that a message sent by a mapper
to your twitter bot actually reaches the twitter-er who is the source of
the data. This is probably not easy.

> I was surprised to see the
> wheelmap construct but I'm sure that was discussed here before it was
> implemented. Was it?

Don't geht the "wheelmap visitor" thing wrong; the *only* thing that
this visitor can do is to set one specific tag to one of three specific
values on an already-existing object of a certain type. So, no free-form
tagging, no creation of new objects - almost zero risk of vandalism or
copyright violation. But even there we have already had problems where
an unknown "wheelmap visitor" changed something that others found worthy
of discussion.

On the whole, I don't think this twitter thing can fly. We don't want
your data (only), we want your soul, and if you cannot be bothered to
set up an account (which you will need anyway as soon as you want to
make edits rather than just dumping POIs onto us) then maybe OSM is not
for you.

A twitter-to-openstreetbugs interface, that could work.

Bye
Frederik