[OSM-talk] Bridge relation on way going under?

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sat May 28 17:21:42 BST 2011

Hi

This wiki page:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Bridges_and_Tunnels

talks about adding a relation to the way going under the bridge.

This statement:

"allows both the way(s) crossing the structure /and/ those passing under
it to be identified (river and most canals bridges only pass /over/ the
waterway, and using only the Way tag bridge=yes means that intersection
tests would have to be used to determine the bridges; now we can
associate the bridges with the waterway as well."

is unclear (to me) as to why it's necessary. Why does an intersection
test need to be performed; doesn't the 'bridge=' tag define that the two
crossing ways are separate?

Hope you can clarify it for me.

Cheers
Dave F.