[OSM-talk] Truck route rendering

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sun Nov 6 21:53:26 GMT 2011

> From: Nathan Edgars II [mailto:neroute2 at gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Truck route rendering
>
> Contact user PeterIto and he can add something to ITO Map (or let you
> know if a 'hidden' rendering already exists).

ITO now has a hidden truck rendering. My local area is
http://www.itoworld.com/product/data/ito_map/main?view=160&lat=49.16&lon=-12
2.88&zoom=12

There is a discussion about the rendering at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/ITO_Map_ideas#HGV_routing

The following areas in North America have a significant number of truck
routes tagged
- Vancouver (hgv and hazmat)
- Trails in Alberta (bad import from 2008?)
- Toronto (mainly hgv=no)
- New York City (fairly extensive)
- Dallas (hgv and hazmat)
- Los Angeles (spotty coverage)

Europe has a lot of hgv=no. Germany has some hazmat=yes/designated. Russia
has a cluster of hgv=yes/designated near Kirov

New Zealand has some hgv mapping in the south end.

In countries where government publications are not PD piecing together HGV
restrictions without copying from official maps can be slow.