[OSM-talk] GPS Logger

Julio Costa Zambelli julio.costa at openstreetmap.cl
Mon Nov 7 12:43:03 GMT 2011

Dear Sajjad,

Beside the traditional Garmin eTrex Legend HCx GPS, we have been using the
Holux M-1000C (6)(http://goo.gl/hdWSh) and M-1200E (1)(http://goo.gl/oRCpa)
for our local GPStogo lending scheme (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/ES:Programa_GPS-Chile).

Both of them have an MTK MT3329 chip, with really good reception and low
power consumption. They have enough memory to work for some days without
uploading the data to you PC, and in the case of the M-1000C it uses a
"generic/cheap" (Nokia style) replaceable battery, and can be used under
Linux with BT-747, mtkbabel and gpsbabel (http://goo.gl/403S6).

However, I should warn you that only the M-1200E has a "waypoint button".
But IMHO this feature is offset by the fact that the logger is almost half
the size of the M-1000C, sacrificing antenna and battery size.

Regards,

Julio Costa Zambelli
OpenStreetMap Chile

julio.costa at openstreetmap.cl

http://www.openstreetmap.cl/
Cel: +56(9)89981083
Postal: Casilla 9002, Correo 3, Viña del Mar, Chile