[OSM-talk] #Occupy camps in OSM?

ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen g.gremmen at cetest.nl
Tue Nov 8 18:27:05 GMT 2011

<executive resume>
One of the reasons OSM could distinguish from other maps,
is being able to respond quickly to temporarily events.
</executive resume>

Currently OSM is boaring the same as Google, having the same data,
but less, and less accurate on a majority of places and
sometimes more on some other places.
Good work done of the community (us) but uninteresting, for the masses.

Currently innovations based on OSM do not extend
beyond YAR (Yet Another Routeplanner) or YAFF (Yet
Another Friend Finder): that’s yesterdays innovation.

Currently only HOT adds real value to OSM.

I agree with Frederick (this time) that temporarily
data should not find a place in a permanent database.

To be able to stand out from the geo data masses, we should steer
away from copying the other mapmakers....we won't win anyway,
as we lack money, and scare away those who think instead
of click.

One direction Google and others do not have taken yet is
the possibility to include temporarily data.

OSM should find a  solution to be able to respond to
short time geographic events such as floodings, occupy camps
volcanic events, war, territorial disputes (Israel), earthquake
events (refugee camps), burning man etc etc, but also
for real short time events such as extreme weather areas's (blocked mountain roads,
affected areas by hurricanes) and even cultural events
(would be nice to include "Woodstock" as destination in YAR, taking
traffic jams and temporary parking areas into account).

I am also thinking about building sites, future geodata (to be realized
constructions, roads or even complete city blocks.)

it's not that I need to community to enter that data
now, just try to enable our database for it, so
we are ready to accept it.

Gert Gremmen

Openstreetmap.nl  (alias: cetest)
 Before printing, think about the environment.