[OSM-talk] Portugal proposal for the SOTM 2012

Jorge Gustavo jgr at osgeopt.pt
Mon Nov 14 00:48:26 GMT 2011

Hi Steve,

i) The exact location is a good question :-)

We have two options: one major city like Lisbon or Oporto, nice to
visit, or a smaller city where people will stay together, with less
distractions.

Since SOTM is a community event, we are more interested to go to a
smaller city, where we can find facilities for much less money and even
for free. Everybody can walk to the conference site, and people will
mostly eat and stay all together.

If the event goes beyond the 300 participants, it's no so easy to stay
in a smaller city (accommodation, large auditorium, etc), but we are
using 300 as the expected number of participants.

But I can answer with a question: what people prefer? Large city, maybe
able to capture more participants also interested in visiting the city,
or a smaller city like Aveiro or Guimaraẽs?

ii) Dates. You didn't ask, but we should organize the SOTM around July.
We need the exact dates, to allocate the space soon as possible. We suggest:
- OSM design and code sprint: July, 8 - 12 (< 20 part.)
- OSM conference: July, 13 - 14 (+- 300 part.)
- OSMF general assembly (for OSMF members): July, 15 (morning) (< 50 part.)
- OSM board meeting: July 12 or 16. (< 10 part.)

a) Should we keep our suggesting of doing the conference on Friday and
Saturday? (do minimize impact on our daily jobs, or people prefer to
have the weekend to do other things?)
b) Should we use 3 days for the conference? 2+1/2 conference + 1/2 assembly?

We didn't closed these issues to make SOTM 2012 more closed to what
people want. So, please help us to shape our proposal to SOTM 2012.

Regards,

Jorge