[OSM-talk] Blocked applications at tile server

Václav Řehák rehakv01 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 10:23:56 GMT 2011

> A fixed application would be one that does not use the OSM tile servers. The
> tile usage policy gives the example of distributing an app using tiles from
> tile.openstreetmap.org as an activity which is forbidden without prior
> permission from system administrators.

Well, and what is your recommended way to do the mapping then?

I go for a walk to a forest close to my city and choose one track/path
to follow (usually based on a commercial map loaded in Locus). I see
the track record as an overlay on either the commercial or OSM map so
I immediatelly see both erros in the commercial map (quite common) and
incorrectly mapped OSM tracks (suprisingly even more common in my
area). When I return home I process the results of my survey in JOSM
and upload it.

The next day I go for another walk to the same area and based on the
already updated OSM tiles (online browsing in Locus) I either verify I
mapped everything correctly and/or follow another path taking
different branches on crossroads etc.

Any tile server provided by the app author will be way behind in the
updates. I expect the Locus tile server to be updated once in a week
or so making it unusable for my weekend mapping trips. Sure, I can use
a webrowser as suggested by Mike N but 1) I cannot see my exact
position and the track log there and 2) it's inconvenient enough to
switch beetween Locus and camera app and if I add web browser to the
mix it's gonna be even more time consuming. And the load on the tile
server would be exactly the same as if I could use the tiles in Locus
directly.