[OSM-talk] Place names on multi-polygons do not render correctly in OSM's Mapnik

woll woll at 2-islands.com
Fri Nov 25 22:39:40 GMT 2011

I don't really understand why this problem has not been fixed yet. Can anyone
help?!

I've sent a message to this list in the past, with no response and also sent
messages directly to various people who seem to understand why the problem
occurs and what the solution is, with no response.

There is a long-outstanding problem with the rendering, in OSM's Mapnik
layer, of place names when "place=*" is tagged on multi-polygons.

The problem is mentioned in various places on this list, in the OSM help
system and in the trac, e.g.:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2011-July/059408.html
http://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/4607/is-there-a-way-to-get-a-county-city-and-suburb-name-rendered-without-using-a-place-node
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/3705
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/2090

If I'm interpreting things correctly, then according to user "Lennard" (in
the OSM help system, who I think is user "ldp" in the wiki/OSM db), then the
change:
   http://trac.openstreetmap.org/changeset/25684
should solve the problem reported here:

http://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/4607/is-there-a-way-to-get-a-county-city-and-suburb-name-rendered-without-using-a-place-node
but, as far as I can see, the problem still exists. Because I didn't get any
response before, and I'm far from being able to fix it myself, it's
difficult to work out if anything has actually changed since it was
reported, or whether there is now a further problem that needs fixing.

It really would be nice if this problem would be fixed, can anyone help, or
explain what the situation is? Thanks!