[OSM-talk] Announcing wtfe.gryph.de "override" mode

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Nov 26 18:01:14 GMT 2011

Hi,

    the "quick history service" at wtfe.gryph.de has a small problem;
there are some people whose edits we know we can keep somehow (even if
someone has to manually copy them and upload under their own account),
but who haven't formally agreed to the CT. Therefore, edits by these
people show up as problematic in JOSM's license change plugin and in the
"license status" layer in P2 even if they technically aren't.

This makes working in areas where there are many edits by these users a
bit difficult.

Therefore, I've added an option for everyone to "override" someone's
license decision for the purpose of WTFE - so e.g. if you know that user
X has disagreed to the CT but has publicly declared all his edits to be
PD, then you can enter that into the table on this page

  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Quick_History_Service

and changes by the user in question will then not show up as problematic
anymore. (This does not change the legal situation and does not affect
what will happen to this user's edits when the license change comes - it
ONLY affects what does or does not show on WTFE.)

Please only do this if you can be reasonably sure that that user's edits
are clean for the ODbL transition. If you add someone to that table and
it later turns out that their edits are indeed copyrighted and not
released for ODbL, then you will have misled everyone into believing
they don't have to remap those edits, and data loss will occur.

Please also note that this is a one-way process. You cannot add someone
to the wiki page and later remove that again - you can in the Wiki but
WTFE will not honour the removal.

The result of adding users to the table on that page can already be seen
when you look at objects edited by TimSC for which Richard Fairhurst as
added an override to the table:

http://wtfe.gryph.de/api/0.6/userlist?nodes=101818

Potlatch already honours the new return value of "override". The license
change plugin for JOSM needs to be updated to r27162 or later for this
to work.

Bye
Frederik