[OSM-talk] Vector maps for Android

Parveen Arora mail at parveenarora.in
Tue Nov 29 06:47:15 GMT 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure how you propose that "OSM" write an application. First of
> all, would it be a map display/use app or a map data editing app?
It should be just a map display with basic features(not all in one)
which should only use the data of osm and osm layers to show the map.
This application should be of name 'OSM' or should having the
recommendation of OSM community to  use it.

> Typically when you try to write everything in one, it gets unwieldy
> and hard to use.
Yes, I am agree with you for this as I said earlier it should have
only the basic features like display map, routing, navigation and
track recording.

> Do you want the OSMF board to write the code? Do you
> want them to pay someone to write the code just so it can be
> "official"?
No I don't want to pay them to someone else.

> That's not how OSM works. The OSMF runs basic
> infrastructure and that's it. The community writes applications,
> documentation, editors, etc.
The same way I want that the community should write this application
or should start it as a project or they can also recommend a already
built application which only servers OSM data.

> And that's what has happened for smartphones. I have 7 different OSM
> related apps on my android and use them all for different things.
As I concluded from the above discussion OSMAnd is the best one
available and having the maximum features.
But still I would like to ask you that which application would you
recommend to someone to use from the all seven you are using.

> I can get on- and off-line rendering and routing including turn-by-turn
> voice navigation, data collection, and data editing apps which covers
> pretty much everything OSM related I want to do on my phone.
>
> And in case you haven't found it yet, there is a big link right at the
> top of http://osmand.net that goes directly to the nightly .apk file
> for free.
I have found it and already installed it on my device. Thank You for help.

My point is just simple that how many of the people are using any
common application related to OSM?, Just like openstreetmap.org there
should also be one application named with OSM by OSM community, It
doesn't matter on which infrastructure it has been built e.g osm.org
uses portlatch for map editing, mapnik and mod_tile for rendering etc.

Its just a idea to unite all the community and people to use one
common application, but people can install as many applications as
they want it will completely their choice.

Because If people are not collaborating with OSM or open source day by
day, for whom we are doing all this, writing a lot of application
collecting all the data, they may be happy with using other
organisation's map.

PS: I have only represented my views, I don't want to hurt the
feelings of anyone and I have no objection to use any application or
software. So I apologies if someone felt so because of me.

--
Parveen Arora
www.parveenarora.in
E-Mail: mail at parveenarora.in