[OSM-talk] Naming dispute over Jerusalem - OSM failure

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 02:17:27 BST 2011

We have a similar problem in Ottawa with English and French.  Politically
French is given equal weight but reality is most maps have English street
names etc.

We also had one or two entries that combined English and French which meant
they were difficult to read and extremely difficult to search.  To find
Slater street one would have to enter name="rue Slater Street" not something
a casual user would immediately think of and few Anglophones know what the
correct translation for Crescent is, it happens to be croissant so Cara
Crescent becomes "croissant Cara Crescent"  also many Anglophones would
enter the address as Croissant Cara rather than croissant Cara which doesn't
help matters.

About 97% of entries were English only.  Today roughly 90+% of street names
have a name:fr value

What we have today uses name and name:fr.  Name is the English value the
French is in name:fr.  For rendering one solution is Maperitive, when used
with a local database it can display different languages according to the
rules used.  One nice feature is you can search the database for
"name:fr="rue Slater""

I have an off line version of Ottawa here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WkJzx5NffRv0TIQgCFFGTQzyqbQ9XDphSLqcjuM8wGM/edit?hl=en_US

I suggest you get a copy and see if you can't come up with a map that
displays in Hebrew, English and Arabic and is searchable.  The searchable
might be useful in that in order to use the functionality you need the
different languages in different fields.

It might also be an idea to see if someone can come up with a server that
renders in Arabic.

I'd also point at different renders, wheelmap.org is one,
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Strategic_working_group/Featured_routing_servicescontains
some others.

Stress the functionality and the fact that the basic mapping idea should be
to map but not for a specific render.

Best of luck.

Cheerio John