[OSM-talk] Naming dispute over Jerusalem - OSM failure

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 16:30:46 BST 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem here is that without "another side" there can be no "consensus".

I don't agree on this argument where a single edit contributor is
insignificant. You are saying that the opinion of one contributor
doing 1000 edits is more important than the opinion of 1000
contributors doing 1 edit.
But I agree that even if you find active contributors on both local
communities, you will never find a consensus. But OSM needs a solution
where both names can be found for geocoding and that city can be
identified in our maps (yes, it is also a rendering issue).

I like David's idea with the specific tag "name:disputed". Then we
could apply certain rules in applications using that name (and
containing the different versions). If the order is a problem in
rendered maps, it could be solved by changing the sequence locally (in
the applications side) randomly and/or at fixed time intervals for
instance...

Pieren